Thursday, November 20, 2008

A candle for Manjunath Shanmugam

Manjunath Shanmugam was the IIM Lucknow graduate of the 2002 batch, who was murdered by a petrol pump owner and 7 of his accomplices in connection with Manjunath's shutting of the pump for adulteration and malpractices. Manjunath paid the price for his honesty and integrity.

The Manjunath Shanmugam Trust, in an international corporate collaboration committee that was formed initially to get speedy justice to Manjunath, and then went on to work towards a larger goal of attacking corruption and unethical business malpractices in the country. It works extensively in organizing RTI workshops across the country and also constitutes an award for positive social action aimed at reducing corruption by individuals.

In college too, we observed a small commemoration ceremony for Manjunath Shanmugam on his death anniversary, by lighting candles and taking the following pledge -

"I acknowledge that integrity matters today more than ever - to me, to those in my life and to the wellbeing of all of the collectives of which I am a part.

I commit myself to set an example through ethical conduct for the furtherance of integrity and to work against all forms of corruption that I come across, in whatever ways possible.

I will not acceptor offer any advantage, gifts or benefits that would compromise my integrity.

I am prepared to explain honestly and be accountable for my actions when dealing with all spheres of society. Therefore, my actions will be transparent/

I will strive for high standards of service and ethical behavior and promote these values in those around me.

Through the above actions I hope to promote the welfare of all our people."

I only wish there were more people to take this pledge...

No comments: