Sunday, March 2, 2008

Godmen, Godwomen and their works

I'm not an athiest, but my utter contempt for godmen and godwomen alike is legendary. I mean I bore my audience to death if such a topic comes up. I don't have anything personal against them, it's just that I'm cynical.

Recently, a Mata came a'visiting. They occupied the Exhibition Ground near my home in Mumbai, and filled it with busloads of people and speakers that blared music and Amma's praises till 2Am the next morning.

The same evening, Mihir was trying to convince me over coffee, that some of these godfolks do have good intentions at heart, and not all deserve the wrath of my cynicism. So it seems that this Amma gives individual attention (yeah, sounds like 12th standard tuitions) to all her 'Bhakts'. Mihir found out today the exact ruotine behind this individual blessing charade. It seems that people queue up at the stage to meet her. A lady holds a tissue to your cheek, wipes it clean and asks you for a language you understand. Then the 'Bhakt' proceeds to Amma and she hugs him, and whispers in his/her ear in your language of choice - "You are my son/daughter".

And, well, thats about it. Then you are supposed to feel happy about yourself and go back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...thats really insightful....mihir did that....

Guy Next Door said...

No way man... Mihir would never take part in these things... he found out from someone...

Anonymous said...

thought as much...mihir and this!!!!

Shruti said...

LOL!!! :D
I am sorry but I bould not help laughing over your last 2 statements...!!
I dunno how I feel about this thing...I've never come across one in my life...And somehow, if people do something like this, I always feel this is just an act of attracting attention!!