Friday, June 15, 2007

Growing up, and getting ready...

I am writing this, partly as a reply to the question posed by the 'Enigmatic Illusion' recently... Girl, it's NOT just you!!!

Its always all about growing up, now, isn't it? I mean right from our childhood, we are coached for this one thing, 'apne pairon pe khada hona'. For girls (more often than not) this turns out to mean to be able to cook the proverbial 'aloo gobi' and gear up for married life. For guys, mostly it means to be able to earn and support a family.

I have grown up, in my twenties now. But is that enough? I'm not sure if I am READY yet, for all that adult life has to throw at me. And there are many who are all set and ready, and that really baffles me to say the least. Just makes me feel that somewhere down the evolutionary race, I got left behind. There's an incident to illustrate this.

Two weekends back, I met P and B, two of my junior college friends. We were all very close and great friends then. But somewhere down the line, we had lost touch. So naturally, it was GREAT to meet up again. P was to leave for a job abroad (he's got a great posting in HK). And I learnt from him that B was gonna get married!!! To top it all, another friend R, was already married!!! I was silent for exactly 15 secs when he told me this on the phone. I was like, gosh, they are my age, how can they be marrying!!!

And so the three of us met. And when B actually told me about it, all I could manage to say was a perfunctory 'Congratulations'! I mean I was in shock. I did not even ask her her would-be's name and what he does (I'm sure she must be thinking what was wrong with me)!

Its just that I was so overwhelmed by it all. I mean, I guess this is the age when girls get married. But.... I mean, everyone around me is moving on, getting married, working, getting jobs and leaving their homes... And they do it with such confidence and elan, it just makes me feel I don't belong here. Ok, I too have moved out, work, earn a living, make my own decisions, but marriage??? and settling down???. It just seems like... like... I'm not 'ready' yet...

4 comments:

Shruti said...

I agree it's about growing up...but suddenly, mine seems to have stopped! :)

But seriously...it is freaky to think about the 'M' word na?!!

Btw thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one ;)

Guy Next Door said...

@EI

he he... and I used to think I was alone to think so...

I guess the more you think you're alone, the more you have company :)

Shruti said...

@GND - Yea...does look like it!! :)

Anonymous said...

You are so right! Even I don't belong here. Every word that you said and the illustration you gave was exact same in my case too. I wonder when will I (or we) be ready then?

But you know what? Its not just about marriage. Marriage is one of those things that grown ups do. I am not sure if I can take responsibility for anything else that is serious in life. I am not ready for anything big yet. Know what I mean? If someone suggests purchasing an appartment to me for future, I won't do it even If I am capable today to support it. I just cant think so far. Or probably I dont want to.