Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sample this for indecency

Today I was attending a seminar at the head office, and I happened to ride the elevator from the 6th floor to the ground. As soon as the elevator arrived at the ground level and the doors opened, a barrage of men just barged into the carriage, as if this was the quickest way to heaven and salvation.

I mean, c'mon people, these wern't abborigines or middle age savages (they actually were educated employees of reputed a software giant) to not know or understand the simple rules of decency. It's not like I took multiple credit courses in decency and courtesy, but it is very basic manners to let people alight from a carriage and then get in.

And in stark contrast to this, was another incident I saw later in the day. The 6PM bus ferrying the employees home was about to leave. And trust me, you miss that bus, and you are stuck in office for the better part of 3 more hours! I was in the elevator, and we stopped on the 1st floor where my work area is. As soon as the doors opened, there was a collegue standing, waiting to ride the elevator to the ground floor to catch the 6PM bus. Yet, and I say again YET, she stood back in surprise at her own hurry, offered her apologies and allowed all to alight. Really admire that girl! It is such things in life, simple day to day occurences that set some apart from the others.

And this just isn't idle praise for her, but a lesson to be learnt by all. Cramming up books and earning 5/5 in the half-yearly appraisal isn't everything, learn to be human first.

No comments: