Friday, April 20, 2007

Learnt something new... and I must add, rather intriguing today.

During this workshop on "Effective Technical Writing", we were gassed with the usual adage of avoiding jargon, using the active voice etc. There was this section which spoke about avoiding gender bias, which was rather new to me.

What it said was, avoid using Gender specific terms for common people. Like "ask HIM", instead, say "ask the USER". Well, this I knew, but the lady teaching us threw up some amusing and quite unexpected exaamples.
Use "Manufactured" ot "Synthetic", instead of the common "Man-made"
Use "Chairperson" instead of "Chairman".

But hey, I have a doubt. And don't shoot off labeling me an MCP. What does one in the industry use for "Manpower"??? What??? Hey, genuine question...

No comments: